Wednesday, September 13, 2006

[Week2_2] information fetish

Roszak's mention of 'Data glut' reminds me of Umberto Eco's famous anecdote quite some years ago: "...Years ago, when I needed to write a paper on Israel, I went to the library and pulled out about a dozen of references from the selves. I read them carefully, developing thoughts and wishing to have more material. now that everything is digitalized, my wishes came true. I typed in the keyword in the search engine. it gave me 11000 search results. I gave up writing that paper." Indeed, information fetish can be misleading from the true goals of why they were created in the first place. Reflecting on this, it should be noted that the information technologies are not evolving at the speed of the evolution of the circuit integrating density (such as the ever-exploited phrase 'Moore's Law'), but at the speed of what the humans and their society can adjust themselves to. The development of the 'information society' itself is controlled by the patterns of the present society.

No comments: